Friday, April 03, 2009

Dinner Theater - Bierer Style

This week I went to my first out-of-town conference. From Sunday to Wednesday the boys (big and little) were on their own. Well, not really on their own. It literally took an excel spreadsheet, google maps, a binder of contact names and directions, days of laundry, organization, and a team of 9 (most unpaid volunteers and few paid care givers) to manage a mom-free household for four days. This alone is a blog entry. But, this entry is a little glimpse into a night out with the Bierer Boys.

On more than one occasion, I have looked up from my parental duties to see a stranger watching me and the boys. Usually this person is a mom or grandma, occasionally a couple with grown children or an expectant mother. I almost always react the same way. I smile slightly, nod, and think to myself, "I'm trying. I'm doing the best I can."

Last night I was offered a slightly different perspective into how my family looks to others.

Last night we ventured out for pizza. I had worked a ten hour day following a four days away from home. Scott had been off work. The boys were being very well behaved. We ordered our drinks and food and spent the next few minutes coloring our place mats. Our drinks arrived. Juice boxes were opened and straws inserted. Scott and I attempted adult conversation between reminders to the boys to keep their bottoms on their chairs, talk quietly, save their drinks, and assisting them with the activities on their place mats.

Life moves pretty fast for me, but every once in awhile I have moment where I find myself content enough to recognize the moment. I remember thinking, "The boys are growing up. Look at my family. Enjoying dinner time together - in public. No one is paying any attention to us. This is nice."

No sooner had the thoughts moved on in my mind, when Scott reached over to point out a word in Jack's word search and simultaneously knock his entire Pepsi onto the table and into my lap. Just as quickly Jack stood up in his chair and announced loudly, "Oh, my goodness." Nate and Danny proceeded to shriek and the atmosphere quickly morphed into a more typical Bierer family dining experience.

A woman seated behind us chuckled and joked, "Now that's dinner theater."

This time my typical self talked wasn't "I'm trying. I'm doing my best."

It was, "Yes, dinner theater we maybe, but at least it's five star."



No comments: