Friday, September 26, 2008

The Weapons Ban

We are currently in the throes of a weapons ban at our home. I never dreamed withholding toys shooters could invoke such drama from small boys. But it has.

A few days ago, we ventured out to find a costume for Danny and a "real" bat costume that met Jack's expectations. As we browsed the store, I watch the boys swing between excited glee and fright. The big highlight of our outing was the discovery of a complete arsenal of pretend weapons — ultimately, the selection of toy guns completely fascinated all four of the boys (yes, that includes dad).

Now, for five years I have managed not buy one single toy gun for any of the boys. We do have a few water guns, a blow up machine gun or two, and a pretend assault riffle from friends and family, so we are not weaponless to say the least. I really have no problem with toy guns and gun gift giving. I completely understand that, for what it's worth, this toy is part of boyhood and most likely childhood in general. I remember playing "guns" with my sisters and have found that the boys can morph lots of everyday objects into weapons whenever imagination dictate.

So as our visit to the store came to an end, I found myself face to face with all four boys. The three younger boys each presenting a toy gun for purchase and the older male, nodding in agreement and saying, " I told them it was okay."

We left with one UPS costume, an assault riffle and two handguns with ammo. That was two days ago. The cache is safely hidden in the house. As the head negotiator of my household, I have made it very clear that I will hold the guns hostage until all three little men can go to bed and stay in bed without hassle.

I never would have dreamed that I would be using this tactic to motivate my sons. The question now, is how long with this arms agreement last. Any bets?

No comments: