Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Can Hardly Believe It.



The boys are cleaning their room. Actually, organizing their room is probably a more accurate description of this afternoon's activity. They are working together and "straightening" their dresser drawers.

Jack came up with this "good idea" after helping me put away clean clothes and discovering his drawer space was limited.

"I have too many clothes." he complained. "These folded things don't fit."
Now, I work hard at clean, folded clothes, but since the boys began dressing themselves, I turn a blind eye on the state of drawers in this house.

My response was simple. "Jack, those are your clothes and your drawers. Everything fits. You just have to keep things in better order." Off I went to other tasks.

It wasn't long and my mom instinct kicked in. . . I hadn't heard the boys. . . there was no fussing or screaming. I found them in their room busily folding and piling clothes as orderly as a 5, 3, and 2 year old can manage.

The part of this story that makes me the happiest is that my boys [who by their mere gender may not be motivated to put the time and energy into this matter] were wholeheartedly proud of themselves. I did offer my praise and gratitude, but ultimately they saw the satisfaction is taking care of and responsibility for their clothes . . . now that's parenting progress . . . thank the dear Lord, I needed a little parental confidence building.

*** DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for sloppy husbands. As the mother, I cannot under any circumstance guarantee that drawer and closet organization skills will continue to be an attribute of the Bierer Boys.

1 comment:

Stacy Wegley said...

Can they come do mine next? Look forward to our next opportunity for play time. ox, S-